Telehealth Information and Resources
We know there is a tremendous need and urgency from safety net and other providers quickly moving to telehealth. This page includes an evolving list of resources for organizations to help them make this shift.
Webinar: Michigan Turns to Telehealth
“Michigan Turns to Telehealth” outlined key updates to state Medicaid telehealth policy that are drastically expanding the reach of telehealth services. Experts from Blue Cross Blue Shield and Upper Midwest Telehealth Resource Center discussed commercial innovations and the national environment for telehealth expansion, including the increased need due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Executive Orders
- Medicaid Policy
- COVID-19 Response: Telemedicine Policy Expansion – Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans (PIHPs)/Community Mental Health Services Providers (CMHSPs) Implications – Issued March 20, 2020
- COVID-19 Response: Relaxing Face-to-Face Requirement – Policy update for Medicaid, Children Special Health Care Services, Flint Waiver, Healthy Michigan Plan – Issued March 18, 2020
- General Telemedicine Policy Changes; Updates to Existing Policy; Federally Qualified Health Center and Rural Health Clinic Policy Changes – This policy expands the definition for originating site and updates reimbursement information. It was not released in response to COVID-19 but includes many changes that went into effect March 1, 2020.
- Medicare Telemedicine Health Care Provider Fact Sheet – Medicare can pay for office, hospital, and other visits furnished via telehealth across the country and including in patient’s places of residence starting March 6, 2020.
- HIPAA – Penalties waived for HIPAA violations against health care providers that serve patients in good faith through everyday communications technologies such as FaceTime or Skype during COVID-19 nationwide public health emergency.
Telehealth Implementation Resources
- Upper Midwest Telehealth Resource Center
- AMA Quick Guide to Telemedicine in Practice
- National Consortium of Telehealth Resource Centers
- Using Telehealth to Care for Patients During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Rural Health Information Hub – Telehealth Use in Rural Healthcare – Resources
- The National Council – Best Practices for Telehealth During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency.
- Relias – Free Telehealth Course Series
- HRSA – Telehealth for providers
Other Government Agencies
- DEA – DEA Okays Telehealth to Prescribe Opioids Amid COVID-19 Emergency
- Opportunities To Expand Telehealth Use Amid The Coronavirus Pandemic – provides several examples of opportunities for providers to utilize telehealth specific to the Coronavirus pandemic.